Thanks, it worked!

A couple of tries were needed:

First, removing everything under /tomcat/work had no affect.

Second, removing /tomcat/work created a new problem;
 The org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap notifies that java.io.FileNotFoundException
says:

/var/tomcat4/work/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-files/org/apache/cocoon/www/projPlan/sitemap_xmap.java
 (No such file or directory)

Finally, recreating the directory /tomcat/work got me past this error.

Also, it seems that I has to restart cocoon with each of theses changes.

-Julia