Maybe it's just IE.  The error I get when trying to display this output (as the result
of a <map:serialize type="xml"/>) is:
<error>
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click
the Refresh button, or try again later.

Duplicate attribute. Error processing resource 'http://localhost:8080/cdemo/rootTest'.
Line 5, Position 53

 <root xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";><a>foo</a>
----------------------------------------------------^
</error>

The 'view source' is:

<source>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<test>

        <root xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";><a>foo</a>
                <b>bar</b>
        </root>
</test>
</source>

I tried putting a copy-of identity transform in between the session transform and the
XML serialize to see if Xerces/Xalan would complain.  They didn't but I get an equally
puzzling error from IE:

<error>
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click
the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name contained an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://localhost:8080/cdemo/rootTest'. Line 5, Position 14

 <root xmlns:%@$#^@#="%@$#^@#" xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";><a
xmlns="http://namespace.org/a";>foo</a>
-------------^
</error>

the 'view source' is:

<source>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<test>

        <root xmlns:%@$#^@#="%@$#^@#" xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";><a
xmlns="http://namespace.org/a";>foo</a>
                <b>bar</b>
        </root>
</test>
</source>

The good news is that the namespace for the 'a' element seems to be coming through.

?????

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/13/02 12:56PM >>>
> creates the following invalid XML output (there are multiple xmlns
attributes on the 'root' element):

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <test>
>       <root xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";
xmlns="http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0";>
>               <a>foo</a>
>               <b>bar</b>
>       </root>
> </test>

Umm, the XML might not be what you want, but it's not illegal;  an element
can have multiple namespaces....