I agree with the principle but there is the 'third way' :

 - I want to have cross-browser HTML code (netscape 4.0 + IE) so I can't
afford relying on stylesheet only. My aim is to reduce the number of
hits on my webserver, that's why I'b better avoid including called to
external stylesheets.
 - Browsers get lost on attributes values without quotes only when the
value of attributes contains not numeric values. For example : "width=80
height=60" is as easy to render as width="80" and height="60", but not
width=100% for example. So removing quotes can be significant.

- A more cocoon-oriented question. How do you implement whitespace
stripping and carriage returns stripping with cocoon ?