One option is to use the XInclude transformer.

Say you have

<xf:selectMany ref="/role" selectUIType='listbox'>
  <xf:caption>Professional roles</xf:caption>

    <xf:item>
      <xf:caption>Geek</xf:caption>
      <xf:value>Geek</xf:value>
    </xf:item>
    <xf:item>
      <xf:caption>Hacker</xf:caption>
      <xf:value>Hacker</xf:value>
    </xf:item>

</xf:selectMany>

Now you can replace the items section with an xinlude section.

<xf:selectMany ref="/role" selectUIType='listbox'>

    <xi:include href="myresources/dynamicRolesList.xml"/>

</xf:selectMany>

Where dynamicRolesList.xml can be any resolvable resource (not just an xml
file).
You would probably use an internal sitemap resource to generate the xml from
the db.

The sitemap ordering is important. XIncludeTransformer has to come before
the XMLFormTransformer.

<map:transform type="xinclude"/>
<map:transform type="xmlform"/>

If this satisfies your response, prefix your reply with SUMMARY, so that the
doc team can include it in the FAQ.

Ivelin