Yes! finally.

Here's what I did. I added a <cdata> tag around my <textarea> tags in my
stylesheet, then put <cdata-section-
elements>cdata</cdata-section-elements> in my serializer definition. Now
even when the textarea has no text the tag doesn't get touched. The
browser just ignores the made up cdata tag and everythings fine.

I tried what you suggested, (adding <cdata-section-
elements>textelement</cdata-section-elements>) but when the textarea
contained just text (no markup) i'd get something like this: [CDATA[some
text]] in the text field.

Thanks everyone.
--Justin