> > Ah, philosophy :-)
> >
> Yupp!
>
> Ok, I think we reached a state where it's difficult to say who is right
> and who is wrong.
>
> Personally, I think that the meaning of 'groups' and roles is mixed
> somewhere in the servlet spec. *My* understanding is that a person
> can be in several groups at a time but has at once time only exactly
> one role. This understanding might be right or wrong, doesn't matter,
> at least these are only words.
>

> > 2. In your example, I think you're indicating that some roles
> are 'larger'
> > than others and that the larger ones contain the smaller ones. E.g. the
> > rights of the following roles from broadest to narrowest.
>
> No, I didn't want to indicate that. Roles may be disjunctive (I hope this
> is the right word).

Ok. That sounds like my second example.

> > > If you need this list of possibilities, I would suggest to not use the
> > > 'role' entry, but a 'roles' entry. The authentication framework
> > > is flexible
> > > and can handle this automatically.
> >
> > Right, <roles> was something I mentioned earlier but it already does so?
> > That's news to me :-) How does it do so automatically? Where do I
> > start/look?
> >
> When a user is in the process of being authenticated, the framework calls
> the authentication pipeline of the handler. For a successful
> authentication,
> this pipeline returns the authentication XML. You can simple extend
> this XML, so that it has an additional <roles> entry parallel to <role>.
> So, you can return
> <authentication>
>    <ID/>
>    <role/> <!-- still optional, but required by the portal framework -->
>    <roles>a,b,c</roles>
> </authentication>

Ok. I was putting it in the <data> section (the docs made me think that was
required, I'm glad it's not). And the <roles> will still be accessible
through the getxml() calls/tags.

> > > So, the authentication framework fits nicely into the servlet
> > > role handling.
> >
> > Uh, I think I missed a leap somewhere :-)
> >
> > Can you please give me a pointer on what you mean? Are you talking about
> > returning <roles> inside <data> and then selecting it when
> needed? Are you
> > saying that it can implement Realm based security? You lost me, sorry.
> >
> So, in your authentication resource, you have to fill the <roles> entry,
> this can be done by calling the servlet api and getting the roles
> information
> from there.
> For testing against a role you have to write your own code/component.

Right, that I got.

In summary, to use the portal, I would need to stick to one role at a time
(e.g. in <role>). I simply extend the notion of <roles> myself.

Thanks for your time,

Per