A good starting point HowTo is at:
http://www.codeconsult.ch/drafts/cocoon/howto-html-pdf-publishing-DRAFT-
01.html

A guide for using xsl-fo is at:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/index.html

My personal recommendation is to get your version of cocoon tuned up so
it is using optimal memory heap sizes....all sorts of weirdness happened
before I did that (none of it reproducible). After a tune up everything
seems to go well.

For a guide on memory settings goto
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg07206.html

We are now outputting  300 page pdf docs transformed from xhtml on a low
end dell linux box with 512meg of memory. Previously the machine was
choking at 30 pages (with default cocoon and tomcat memory settings)

Be careful when developing that you start with small transformations,
then scale them up until the machine can't deal with it anymore.

Hope this helps

Cal