Geoff Howard wrote:

>I think components have to be declared in cocoon.xconf
>in order for the container to initialize them, or even
>to find them.

If I'm not mistaken, container *can* create and return you a component
which is not declared in cocoon.xconf, but it must be declared with
default class name in the reoles file.

>  There are currently two ways of doing
>this: creating an entry in .roles, or declaring it
>using generic syntax in cocoon.xconf.  Since I think
>the first requires rebuilding cocoon,

There is some way to specify custom (user) roles file. Not sure of
syntax though.

> I'd recommend
>trying the second.  I think you'll need either a
><component-instance/> or <component/> declaration
>depending on your need.  Components are Avalon
>components, defined by the project at
>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon which I can't access
>right now. (Seems to be their webserver).  I also
>don't have easy access to the component declaration I
>did right now or I'd send you an example.  There are
>examples of generic declarations in cocoon.xconf which
>should be all you need, except to note that your
>declaration needs to be a child of the root <cocoon>
>element, whereas the examples I'm seeing in
>cocoon.xconf have custom named parent elements which
>you won't have (unless you go the .roles route).

There is example of <component/> also on:
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/snippet/snippet-xslt-options.html

>Disclaimer - I'm not a guru on this - only did it
>once.
>
>Hope I haven't misunderstood your issue.

All you told is correct.

Vadim