Jessica,

you have a pipeline, do you ? You just have to comment the transformation stage and
change the serializer from HTML to XML of that
pipeline, something like:

<map:match name="wildcard" pattern="foo.xml">
        <map:generate type="serverpages" src="xsp/foo.xsp"/>
<!-- Commented out for debug
        <map:transform type="xslt" src="bar.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize type="html"/>
-->
        <map:serialize type="xml"/> <!-- XML output for debug -->
</map:match>

Best regards,

P.S.
You could use "views" to the same effect, but this is an *advanced* topic :)

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]