<quote from="JDK-1-4-release-notes">
   <strong>Headless support</strong> is now enabled by new graphics
   environment methods that indicate whether a display, keyboard, and
   mouse can be supported in a graphics environment.
</quote>

I wonder what they are talking about? Are you sure it doesn't work as is
with JDK 1.4?
Read more at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/awt/AWTChanges.html#headless

Hope this helps