My cowardly approach was to
cd webapps/cocoon
cp -r tutorial EXP

edit webapps/cocoon/sitemap.xmap
to copy the reference to tutorial, and make the
appropriate change in the copy to EXP,

and then, of course, actually do something useful and
new with my new
webapps/cocoon/EXP directory.

I figure that at the point I'm really happy with the need not
to browse the tutorial or cocoon itself, I'll then edit the
webapps/cocoon/sitemap.xmap to point exclusively to my EXP.

Anyone wishing to disabuse me of a relative-newbie silliness,
please feel free...

--
Jerry Fowler