Carsten, thanks for the response.

The stack trace for my problem is as follows: (Spammy...)

*type* fatal

*message* _null_

*description* _java.lang.NullPointerException_

*sender* org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet

*source* Cocoon servlet

*stack-trace*

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.xml.XMLUtil.getNodesFromPath(XMLUtil.java:869)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.xml.XMLUtil.getNodesFromPath(XMLUtil.java:871)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.xml.XMLUtil.getNodesFromPath(XMLUtil.java:871)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.xml.XMLUtil.getNodeListFromPath(XMLUtil.java:836)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.context.SimpleSessionContext.getXML(SimpleSessionContext.java:173)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.sunrise.SunRise.isAuthenticated(SunRise.java:691)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.sunrise.SunRise.checkAuthentication(SunRise.java:766)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sunshine.sunrise.acting.AuthAction.act(AuthAction.java:122)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.C_.Program_Files.Apache_Group.Tomcat_4_1.webapps.cocoon.sitemap_xmap.matchN400948(C:\Program
 Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/C_/Program_Files/Apache_Group/Tomcat_4_1/webapps/cocoon\sitemap_xmap.java:10954)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.C_.Program_Files.Apache_Group.Tomcat_4_1.webapps.cocoon.sitemap_xmap.process(C:\Program
 Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/C_/Program_Files/Apache_Group/Tomcat_4_1/webapps/cocoon\sitemap_xmap.java:4491)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.www.file_.C_.Program_Files.Apache_Group.Tomcat_4_1.webapps.cocoon.sitemap_xmap.process(C:\Program
 Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\cocoon\cocoon-files\org/apache/cocoon/www/file_/C_/Program_Files/Apache_Group/Tomcat_4_1/webapps/cocoon\sitemap_xmap.java:3867)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:224)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:179)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager.process(SitemapManager.java:154)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:999)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2350)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:171)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:405)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:380)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

*request-uri*

/cocoon/foo-protected

*path-info*

foo-protected

Here's the pipelines I've defined for my handler, which for testing
purposes is just called "foo-handler".

Loginpage Pipeline:

<map:match pattern="foo-loginpage">
              <map:generate src="content/logintest/loginpage.xml" />
              <map:transform src="content/logintest/loginpage.xsl" />
              <map:transform type="encodeURL" />
              <map:serialize />
    </map:match>

Protected Resource:

<map:match pattern="foo-protected">
        <map:act type="sunRise-auth">
            <map:parameter name="handler" value="foo-handler"/>
            <map:generate src="content/logintest/protected.xml"/>
        </map:act>
        <map:transform src="content/logintest/protected.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize/>
</map:match>

Login Resource:

<map:match pattern="foo-login">
         <map:act type="sunRise-login">
           <map:parameter name="handler" value="foo-handler"/>
           <map:parameter name="parameter_name" value="request:name"/>
           <map:parameter name="parameter_password"
value="request:password"/>
           <!-- If the authentication is successful then this redirect
will be performed -->
           <map:redirect-to uri="foo-protected"/>
         </map:act>
         <!-- authentication failed: -->
         <map:generate src="login-failed.xml"/>
         <map:transform src="login-failed.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize/>
      </map:match>

Authenticatoin resource:

<map:match pattern="foo-authuser">
            <map:generate src="content/logintest/authenticate.xml" />
            <map:transform src="content/logintest/foo-user.xsl">
               <map:parameter name="use-request-parameters" value="true" />
            </map:transform>
            <map:serialize type = "xml" />
      </map:match>

My test example is rather limited, merely so that I can gain enough
knowledge to implement sunRise. My authentication resource is creating
the required XML file from another XML file containing usernames and
passwords. (As per Matthew Langham's sunRise component guide,
http://radio.weblogs.com/0103021/stories/2002/02/28/usingTheSunriseComponents.html).
Everything I have implemented thus far is straight from his guide, in it
you can see the syntax of the individual files of the pipeline that I
have used.

I get completely through the login sequence, until after entering my
username and password and being redirected back to my protected
resource. A session does get created, because I can see it both in the
URL and I assume a cookie is also set, because if I try to access the
protected resource repeatedly without closing the browser, it just fails
out with the Java null error. So I assume most things here are working
correctly, but something little is hanging me up..

I am also working with a CVS version which is probably a good few weeks
old (mainly to just learn everything I need to know about Cocoon before
implementing it.), is there any possibility that sunRise may have been
broken? I've downloaded the lastest automated CVS build and will be
testing that to see if I fare any better.

Thanks a lot for your patience and help!

-Brian Schwark
[EMAIL PROTECTED]