I'm using jre 1.4.1. I have an xsp which captures a fragment of xml, and
passes it to a class:

<capture:fragment-variable name="frag">
</capture:fragment-variable>

<xsp:logic>
        MyClass.doSomething(frag);
</xsp:logic>

This passes an XMLFragment which I convert to a node:

public class MyClass {

public static void doSomething(XMLFragment frag){

        Node node = frag2Node(frag);
}

public Node frag2Node(XMLFragment frag){

        Document doc = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance().newDocumentBuilder().newDo
cument();
        Node dummy = doc.createElement("dummy");
        doc.appendChild(dummy);
        frag.toDOM(dummy);
        return dummy.getFirstChild();
}

When Cocoon runs, I get an exception in the call to frag.toDOM(dummy)
It is a null pointer exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.flushStartDoc(T
ransformerIdentityImpl.java:885)
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.startElement(Tr
ansformerIdentityImpl.java:1016)
        at org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.startElement(AbstractXMLPipe.j
ava:130)
        at org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.startElement(AbstractXMLPipe.j
ava:130)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLByteStreamInterpreter.parse(XMLB
yteStreamInterpreter.java:126)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLByteStreamInterpreter.deserializ
e(XMLByteStreamInterpreter.java:102)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLByteStreamFragment.toSAX(XMLByte
StreamFragment.java:100)
        at org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractSAXFragment.toDOM(AbstractSAXFragment.
java:76)

Can anyone see what the problem is - I've searched in vain!
Alternatively, is there a more elegant way of converting the XMLFragment
passed by Cocoon as a parameter into a DOM node?!

Robert Onslow

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com