> I'm working on a project prototype where I'm trying to implement a kind of
> "wizard" using XMLForms. The difference is that I'd like the XML docs
> written by the content people to define the resulting XML doc, without
> specifying it ahead of time. In other words, I'd like the elements &
> attributes to be built by the XPath commands that originate from the XForm
> ref attributes. I'm using 2.1-dev, a fairly fresh snapshot.

We've got a similar problem.  I'm not using XForms/XMLForms due to the fact
that I've got a historical code base and 2.1 isn't yet ready for production.
However, let me describe what we're doing, a similar approach might be
useful for you...

In our case new forms are added daily.  We have one group of people that
define the meta-data for the forms (from which a DTD can be generated).  We
have another group of people who utilize this metadata to generate the
actual forms (most screens/forms utilize only a subset of the possible
fields).  Given that this stuff changes daily we keep all metadata in a
database.

We're currently working on a GUI generator that will let the forms builder
people build a skeleton XML description of a form using a (essentially)
dynamically created DTD (from the metadata in the database).  This XML is
again stored in the database (as essentially form instance specific metadata
specified as XML).

At run time we generate the complete metadata for a given form back from the
metadata and aggregate this with the stored XML form description to
completely describe the form.  In addition, at run we generate all relevant
data from the database (in the same pass as the metadata generation), so
that a complete metadata and data XML tree is available for each form
element used by the form designers.  An XSLT then merges these two trees to
generate a new set of nodes which is used by a separate presentation XSLT
pass to actually generate the form.

I think, in your case something similar would be possible: aggregate the GUI
designers XML description with a (possibly transformed) XForms DTD (which
you may have to create?) via an XSLT, then feed this to the actual XForm
transformer?