To be honest, I circumvented this whole issue by having as few pipelines as possible.

Basically I use action or event id's that point to metadata files.  The metadata files
have all the information how to build a portal page,  I then use WSUI (wsui.org) files
to describe each of the portlets.

So really I only have one pipeline for the portal (external pipeline), one for the
portlets (internal pipeline), and some external pipelines to handle gifs, jpegs, css,
and js.

the sitemap has the additional authentication actions as well as some locale actions
so it's a little more compicated than what I described above...

So basically I match on a metadata id (using the request parameter matcher), rather
than match URL's as I take it that most people do.  For that matter I not really
matching as my wildcard is really * and instead I'm using a request parameter action.
If not found show a 404 message.

So my sitemap is probably a 100-150 total lines even though it's serving up 500-600
dynamic pages composed of approximately 700 or so portlets.  so it's quite lean and
mean.

MD