Make sure you put your request inside a tag. Like this:
<xsp:page language="java" xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"; xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2"; xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0";>
<data>
<xsp:logic>
your logic
</xsp:logic>
</data>
</xsp:page>

As you can see, I'm using the xsp-request logic sheet. Should be the same though.

Bert

At 14:46 28/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:
Hi Everyone-

Here is a newbe question: I'm trying to use the implicit 'request' variable in a xsp page, however, whenever I try to access it like this I get a NPE error at line x:

<xsp:logic>
keyword = request.getParameter("value"); //line x
</xsp:logic>

When I attempt to access it like this, I get an "illegal start of type" error at line x:

<xsp:logic>
String comment = "";

if (request == null) { //line x
comment = "Request is null";
} else {
comment = "Request is NOT null";
}
</xsp:logic>

This seems to point to 'request' as not having been declared, doesn't it? Doing something like this works:

<xsp:logic>
String keyword = "C";
</xsp:logic>
<content>
<esql:connection>
<esql:pool>cocoon</esql:pool>
<esql:execute-query>
<!-- <xsp-request:get-parameter name="value"/> -->
<esql:query>select * from Resources where ResourceName like '%<xsp:expr>keyword</xsp:expr>%'</esql:query>
<esql:results>
<esql:row-results>
<row>
<esql:get-columns/></row>
</esql:row-results>
</esql:results>
</esql:execute-query>
</esql:connection>

</content>

Any ideas? This is driving me up the wall. I would post more of the error code, config, etc, but it seems like this must be something major and (hopefully) obvious.

Thanks,

Eric Everman