The user-list is for questions like yours the best place. For me the only
rule is looking at http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faq/index.html before
posting.

> I'll try Saxon. I'm not immediately certain how to install it
> with Cocoon but I'll find out !

It's quite easy - one of the links at
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Saxon (I think it's the fourth
...) points out all necessary steps.