More Info:

If I edit the sitemap to make Saxon pretend to be Xalan (to ensure that only Saxon is
used)
then the problem changes.  A java source file is generated for the XSP page, but the
first line
in the file should not be there at all.  Here are the first 5 lines from the file
hello_xsp.java:

 xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
xmlns:XSLTExtension="org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.XSLTExtension"
    package org.apache.cocoon.www.samples.docs.samples.xsp;

    import java.io.File;
    import java.io.IOException;

Tim