Hi Luca.
Thank you so much for help.
Here are all my components:

1. the pipeline:

<map:match pattern="*.html">
    <map:generate src="{1}.html" type="html"/>
    <map:transform src="test.xsl"/>
    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

2. the imput file (test.html):

 <head>
  <title>Untitled</title>
 </head>

3. the xsl (test.xsl):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon";
extension-element-prefixes="saxon">

<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:element name="root">
  <xsl:text>HELLO </xsl:text>
  <xsl:for-each select="//p">
   <xsl:text>P content = </xsl:text>
   <xsl:value-of select="."/>
  </xsl:for-each>
 </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

As you can see, with such xml and xsl I should have one match for p element
and it's content should be output inside the root element. But it just
doesn't happen, it doesn't match the node. And now the interesting part
strats:
If I replace the select attribute of xsl:for-each to be
"descendant::node()[name()='p']"
instead of just "//p" (those two expressions mean exactly the same in the
XPath),
I suddenly get the match and the right answer from Cocoon.
Also, if I run this stylesheet externally of Cocoon (for example, using
XMLSpy XSLTransformation tool) I get the right answer for match "//p".

So I know that my stylesheet is OK, but I can't understand why it doesn't
work from Cocoon.
If somebody can explain this thing for me, I would be more than happy,
because I can't use the descendant::... style instead the // style in my
real (big) stylesheet.

Thank you all very much.
Hope somebody can help me with this.

Regards,