The best thing to do to change this is contribute to the Jakarta POI project's HDF component. jakarta.apache.org/poi -- HDF is in
its infancy but with contribution could be successful for Cooon serializers and generators to transform between the formats!

Darren Petrie wrote:

Cocoon would definately be a good choice technically. However what you'll have to fight is the mindset of people desiring to use MS Word as their authoring tool. You could try to use a tool such as DocSoft's (http://www.docsoft.com) Word-to-XML converter. However it creates generic "presentation" XML and therefore you'll lose the control over the look and feel of the site.

I'm in the same battle now of trying to integrate an XML editor for people to author with into our business process. People are comfortable with Word and resist change.

Darren