Hi Jeremy,

I found something on that in "Beginning XML" by D. Hunter on page 48, in
case you have it :-)
It sais that Unicode is designed to cover all of the characters in *any*
human language.
Also it is recommended to use UTF-16 for any other language that is not
English because the file size would be smaller.

These two arabic sites however use charset=windows-1256:
http://www.aljazeera.net/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/arabic/news/

http://www.arabynet.com uses UTF-8:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html" charset="UTF-8">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" CONTENT="AR">

Regarding the reverse flow:
"Unicode includes the default writing mode for each character. Thus,
Arabic is automatically presented right-to-left. If you want it
presented left-to-right, you need to use the bidi-overide attriute of
fo:inline. This also allows you to embed left-to-rigth text into
right-to-left data (e.g., English words embedded in an Arabic stream)."
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200201/msg01289.html

This thread on a multilangauge experiment could be interesting too:

What international encodings are supported by Xerces-J?
ISO Latin Arabic (ISO-8859-6)
EBCDIC Arabic (ebcdic-cp-ar1)
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-general.html#faq-6

And more...
<value xml:lang="AR">&#1580;&#1583;&#1608;&#1604;</value>

Mapping:
<mapping id="iso-8859_6-1999">
  <display xml:lang="en" name="Arabic (8859-6)" />
  <alias name="iso-8859-6" preferredBy="MIME" />
</mapping>
http://xml.coverpages.org/unicode22-SampleAliases2.xml

This might be useful to you too:
This shows how to use the xml:lang attribute to indicate to a search
engine where to find the Arabic version of a document.
<link title="The manual in Arabic"
      rel="alternate"
      xml:lang="ar"
      href="http://example.com/manual/arabic.html"/>