For anybody else that's interested, The latest CVS of Excalibur and Avalon-Framework support this through the org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Logger2LogKitManager class for Cocoon2.1. Here are the steps I took:
1. replaced avalon-framework.jar, excalibur-logger.jar and logkit.jar with the latest CVS builds.
2. extended the CocoonServlet class init method to set the Logger2LogKitManager as the LogKitManager and reinitialize cocoon
3. updated web.xml for the new Servlet class
Now I can control all my logging with Log4J, and I didn't have to change any existing Cocoon or Avalon code. I'm not sure if this will work with Cocoon 2.0.x. Thanks.
Brian