Sorry you never got an answer here - I don't have much to add but the
following:

1) I don't think HSQLDB is necessary for proper internal working of cocoon.
2) I'm pretty sure I managed to disable it by modifying cocoon.xconf (and
maybe something else).  Unfortunately, I don't have time to track down what
I did.  If you provide more information on what's happening when cocoon does
not "work properly" that may help me/others figure out what's happening.
For instance, if you've removed the jar from WEB-INF/lib but failed to
remove the reference to the hsqldb class in web.xml you may have problems
right there.

HTH,
Geoff Howard