Hi,

The forrest project has much of this problem solved (though the config file
needs adjusting :) for smaller type sites.

The idea is to use an explicit site 'map' (site.xml). There you hierarchically
store the site structure. Your content links point to an identifier in the
site.xml. Then there is some XSL that resolves the link for you. So, you move
things around it does not matter because you reference the identifier not a
hardcoded path.

See:
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html

best,