I recently looked into consumer hosting for cocoon for the first time.
Because that project was going to have relatively light traffic, I wound up
going with a "virtual dedicated" server account for $80USD/month.  I've been
able to reuse the account for several smallish projects and have room to
continue to do so.  It gets me "root" access which I felt was safer than
other options and it didn't cost much more, even less since I am
unrestricted in placing multiple projects there.

I considered some of the less expensive cocoon hosting and j2ee hosting
accounts out there but didn't feel comfortable with them.  If you go that
route I believe you can get away much cheaper.

I'm using LiquidWeb, but there are others that offer similar arrangements.
I've been quite happy so far, though admittedly I'm not exactly stressing
the box with these projects.  The only exception with that particular host
is they have restrictive SMTP policies/settings that prevent Cocoon from
sending email over SMTP to external domains which has been a loser.  I'm
hacking a solution but if you need to send emails I'd advise to look
elsewhere (unless you're very comfortable re-installing and supporting
sendmail)

You asked about the database shipping with cocoon.  My feeling is that it's
only included as a convenience so that samples can work right out of the
box - not really intended for live use though I'd love to hear if others are
doing so successfully.  My account came with mysql, so I've used that.  It's
pretty easy to integrate with Cocoon - the documentation is adequate and
gets you up in a few minutes time.

It's been running live for several months with no hiccup, though admittedly
it's unusually lightweight on traffic.

HTH,
Geoff