I just built CVS HEAD yesterday afternoon.  There are
some problems with sitemap validation, so you will
have to turn that off (<validate>false</validate>) in
properties.xml.

One of the things I have to remember is to clear my
custom CLASSPATH variable before I start the build
process.

To build, I do the following:

set CLASSPATH=

build -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes
-Dinclude.scratchpad.libs=yes
-Dinstall.war=%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps webapp

I've also picked up the extra jars for mail, jta,
xindice, and logging to enable those optional
components.  One of these days I'll pick up the php
servlet jar and see if I can't get that to compile as
well.

HTH

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .