Just a thought . . . .

You did say -Dexclude.webapp.documentation=yes.

In the sitemap.xmap there is the following match:

    <map:match pattern="">
      <map:redirect-to uri="documents/index"/>
    </map:match>

And then the redirect actually generates the document
index.html.  Since you built without documentation,
you'll need to change it to reflect your setup.

You might make a dummy html file and use serialize, or
make an xml/xslt pair and transform it.

HTH

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .