I am working on a transformer that allows you to take XML fragments from a pipeline and run them through other pipelines. The transformer itself is very specific to my application, but if you're interested, you might be able to adapt parts of it to whatever you're doing. It creates a new environment and sends it through the processor. As far as I know, there is no other way to call an external pipeline/resource and return to the calling pipeline.
Brian