From: Irv Salisbury III [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: 06 February 2003 15:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Training others on Cocoon - suggestions?

Derek, I tried to send a PDF of the training that we used, but it was too large for the list to accept. (It is 288K) Send me an email directly if you want it. Here are the topics in it:

1. Basics
a. Directory Structure
b. cocoon.xconf
c. web.xml
d. sitemap
e. pipeline basics
f. built in generators
g. built in transformers
h. built in serializers
i. protocols (cocoon, context, etc)
j. lab
2. Custom components
a. Selectors
b. actions
c. transformers
d. generators
e. avalon interfaces
f. lab
3. XSP
a. basics
b. advanced
c. lab

I also have a PDF of our XLST training, but it is too large as well. I can send it to you directly if you want.

Irv

Derek Hohls wrote:

Thanks Bertrand

I know I always make the mistake of trying to cover
too much! OTOH, when you say your students did not
cope with "using all the different components involved without understanding any of them in detail (at first)." I smile because thats

*exactly* the way I do learn; trying things out to see if they work and only worrying about understanding much later - that way I quickly
build up a "big picture" without being bogged down.

Derek

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/02/2003 04:43:39 >>>
> I am planning on
> covering XSLT in the first part, as their skills are
> weak in this field and I believe this is a key topic
> for effective use of Cocoon.

I don't know your public, but what I've found when mentoring or teaching people to use Cocoon is that they are often overwhelmed by the many different technologies and skills involved.

IMHO you can do a lot with some XSLT, some sitemap config, some log exploration skills, etc. without having to go deep in any of these at first.

What my students/colleagues found distracting was using all the different components involved without understanding any of them in detail (at first).

OTOH I think it's a good idea to start with some XSLT, which can be disturbing enough for people to warrant being treated separately from Cocoon.

Hope this helps,
Bertrand

MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is believed to be
clean.

"The CSIR exercises no editorial control over E-mail messages and/or attachments thereto/links referred to therein originating in the organisation and the views in this message/attachments thereto are therefore not necessarily those of the CSIR and/or its employees. The sender of this e-mail is, moreover, in terms of the CSIR's Conditions of Service, subject to compliance with the CSIR's internal E-mail and Internet Policy."