On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 09:08 AM, Leszek Gawron wrote:
Things are not so simple for me because I'm plugging into an existing system
(database change is impossible).

We struggled with that for about two years before giving up (of course the existing system used the pervasive btrieve api with no database-level constraints and thus there was bad data all over the place..)

Second thing is that the same query that works reasonably fast under Squirell
JBDC client is a nightmare under cocoon

As it was mentioned in a reply on the dev list, try to show the user a subset of the records at a time.. 5500 rows will be pushing a lot of data through the cocoon pipelines and rendering engine of your browser. How large is the resulting HTML file?
-pete