Irv,
I remember I built the javadoc that came with the transformer and it was
pretty easy to use starting there. I suggest you do the same.
Anyway if you want a snippet I can give you this.

The transformer is declared in the sitemap this way:
   <map:transformer name="xmldb"
src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.XMLDBTransformer">
    <driver>org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl</driver>
    <base>xmldb:xindice:///db</base>
   </map:transformer>

Then is used on a pipeline like any other transformer. The syntax it uses
for XUpdate queries for example is:
<xindice:query type="update" oid="xmldb-object-id">
  <xu:modifications version="1.0" xmlns:xu="http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate";>
    <xu:remove select="/person/[EMAIL PROTECTED] = 'home']"/>
    <xu:update select="/person/[EMAIL PROTECTED] = 'work']">
      480-300-3003
    </xu:update>
    </xu:modifications>
</xindice:query>