Aparently your <xsp:expr>result</xsp:expr> returns a string and not and XML stream.
You can use JTidy to convert your String to an XML stream. It's classes are available in Cocoon!
Here's a code snip out of an XSP page that converts a POST from a brower based html editor to an XML stream.

<xsp:structure>
<xsp:include>org.w3c.tidy.Tidy</xsp:include>
<xsp:include>java.io.ByteArrayInputStream</xsp:include>
</xsp:structure>
<page>
<xsp:logic>
String strContent = request.getParameter("content");
ByteArrayInputStream in = new ByteArrayInputStream( strContent.getBytes() );
org.w3c.dom.Document doc = null;
org.w3c.tidy.Configuration conf = new org.w3c.tidy.Configuration();

      try {
        Tidy tidy = new Tidy();
        //Do not show "parsing" messages
        tidy.setQuiet(true);
        //Do not show warnings in the Servlet Engine console
        tidy.setShowWarnings(false);
        //set the output type
        tidy.setXmlOut(true);
        //Set the encoding
        tidy.setCharEncoding( conf.LATIN1 );
        //Set output options
        tidy.setBreakBeforeBR(false);
        tidy.setQuoteNbsp(true);
        tidy.setQuoteAmpersand(true);
        tidy.setLiteralAttribs(true);
        //Omit the document type in the tidy output
        tidy.setXmlPi(false);
        //parse the document tot a DOM tree
        doc =  tidy.parseDOM(in, null);
      } catch (Exception e) {
           //Do some error handling here
      }
    </xsp:logic>
    <content>
      <xsp:expr>doc.getDocumentElement()</xsp:expr>
    </content>

You will need to tweak the Tidy parameters, but you get the idea, I guess.
The DOM stream from JTidy is automatically converted to SAX by Cocoon (correct me if I'm wrong) so you can do regular transformations in the pipeline afterwards.

HTH,
Bert