From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 April 2003 23:01
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AW: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access
(NoValidConnectionException)

first, HTH = Hope That Helps ;-), my first name is marco,

my mysql driver jar's name is 'mysql-connector-java-2.0.14-bin.jar' (which
is in WEB-INF/lib).

within the jar I have a file README. a snip from the section 'USAGE AND
INSTALLATION':

If you are going to use the driver with the JDBC DriverManager, you would
use
"com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" as the class that implements java.sql.Driver.

You might use this name in a Class.forName() call to load the driver:

        Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();

To connect to the database, you need to use a JDBC url with the following
format ([xxx] denotes optional url components):

jdbc:mysql://[hostname][:port]/[dbname][?param1=value1][&param2=value2].....

URL Parameters (can be passed as properties in
DriverManager.getConnection() as well):

so the driver class to load at startup in my case is com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.

the README also lists URL parameters that can be supplied in the driver url.

---