It looks like tomcat doesn't like spaces in the installation directory.
I moved everything from "C:\apache group\tomcat 4.1" to "c:\tomcat", and
now things seem to be working.

Thanks everyone for reassurances that what I was doing was supposed to
work. I'll probably have more app-specific questions soon, I'm just
trying to get my head around this stuff...

- Eugene