Are the samples still in tact (I assume they are since this
is binary dist)?  If so, can you confirm that the database
samples (which use hsql) are working, or do you get the
same error?  If so, I'd guess that you may be using a
jdk 1.2/3 version of the excalibur database package.

Do a directory listing of your WEB-INF/lib - any jdk dependant
jars should give some clue as to which version they are.

Geoff