Charlene, it looks to me like your problem is not with jfor, but merely with
parsing the XML source file.

The parser thinks the French text is encoded as UTF-8, but my guess is that
it actually uses ISO-8859-1. You should either open the XML file again and
save it in UTF-8 format, or add an encoding declaration to the start of the
file. e.g. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

Cheers

Con