At 05:27 PM 6/9/2003 +0100, you wrote:
Hi,

On Sunday 9th June, we put live Phase One of our migration of Standard Life
Investment's sites...

The site looks great and the response appeared to be snappy.

The box is an IBM RS6000 running AIX, and the software stack is
Apache/Tomcat/Cocoon 2.0.4.

Phase Two, which is scheduled to start almost immediately, involves moving
more apps across to the server, and load-balancing another box in the setup,
in addition to bringing back within scope, some items which were dropped to
meet Phase One's go-live date.

I'd be interested in learning more about your impressions of Cocoon's performance with apps involving dynamic content.
Most of your site examples appear to be static content, so you can take advantage of Cocoon's caching mechanisms to boost performance.

Have you migrated/tested apps that involve retrieving data from databases and rendering dynamic pages? Things like user portfolios/account details etc? I'm curious to see how Cocoon performs when serving up large volumes of dynamic content and how well it scales as request volume grows? Can you (or anyone else) share your experience with this?

I'd like to consider Cocoon for the presentation tier of a large business application powered by J2EE on the back end. Almost all of the pages served would include some dynamic content, so I'm not sure how much if any of Cocoon's caching I could use to boost performance.

I'm wondering if Cocoon is appropriate for such applications or whether a more traditional JSP based web app would perform and scale better. Perhaps Cocoon shines best when serving static content and is not appropriate for high volume dynamic content?

What options are available for optimizing Cocoon performance when serving up dynamic content? What are the Cocoon "best practices" when dealing with dynamic content.

Please share your views and experience on this. I'd really like to get a sense of the Cocoon community's thoughts on this. I posted a similar question a couple of days ago and so far I haven't received any feedback on this topic. Is no one using Cocoon with J2EE?

Thanks in advance for your time. I'd be happy to take this off-line if this is not the appropriate forum for such discussions.

...Steve

Steve Brackenbury Toronto, CANADA