> How do I check for the instance of a file before
> attempting to cinclude it?  Basically, I don't
> want the pipeline to die if the file isn't found.

If that's the only thing you need, maybe the following use of the cinclude
tag might help:

<cinclude:includexml ignoreErrors="true">
    <cinclude:src>foo/bar.xml</cinclude:src>
</cinclude:includexml>

I found it in the documentation
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/transformers/cinclude-transformer.htm
l), but have not tried it myself yet.

If there are other criteria for use cinclude or not, you might insert an
XSLT-transformer before the CInclude-Transformer. The XSLT might then add
the cinclude tags only under certrain conditions.

-- Michael