We just got a grant from the NEH as part of the CARES act. As part of it, we'll be scanning a whole bunch of stuff, such as evidentiary documents from some of the Nuremberg trials, plus the personal papers of an early 20th-century senator from our state. The grant is covering rather more people than we usually have scanning documents, so we've developed a need for a few more scanners.

The material is almost entirely text. Our archivist thinks that 600 DPI scans are probably sufficient for that purpose. Many of the documents are fragile, so sheet-fed scanners are (sadly) not an option. We are already equipped with some very fancy high-end scanners that can handle anything that actually needs high-resolution scanning, or materials like microfilm/slides/etc.

So what I need are some decent-quality flatbed scanners. Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to look out for?

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems and Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota