Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
The following link implements a slider, and I thought such a metaphor would be a good one for any number of library interfaces:

  http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/

1. For example, it could be used to "gauge" a Find More Like This One function. Move slider up or down. Return a higher or lower integer. Use integer to set an upper bounds or lower bounds of items returned from a call to xISBN or LibraryThing ISBN.

2. Another example might be with Did You Mean? Move slider up or down to determine the number of possible spelling (or thesaurus) suggestions returned.

3. Here's a third one. Move slider to show more or fewer details from a bibliographic records. At one end of the spectrum is just identifier. At the other end of the spectrum is a full record.

I think the idea of a slider is cool as well as kewl. How could I implement something like this easily?

Hi Eric,

Do a google search for "ajax slider" and you'll find lots of implementation with demos

Here's just one example of a javascript/php/ajax implementation:

http://roshanbh.com.np/2008/01/slider-using-php-ajax-and-javascript.html

Take a look at the Sliders page on the Ajaxian wiki at: http://ajaxpatterns.org/Slider

Go down to the real world examples page and try the Amazon Loose Diamonds link.