I know I'm coming late to this discussion, but here are a few thoughts:

I also would LOVE to have what Emily asks for: given an item, show me co-located items ... virtually. Improve on the physical world limitations, if we can. Present the information well: familiar / easy to learn / usefully. I'm not in love with call numbers, per se ... but the "colocation by subject" is useful. Bookstores don't use call numbers, but they still shelve books by subject, and then by author within subject, generally.

I did some thinking about this 5 years ago: both the meaning of call numbers and how to present things visually. I don't pretend to have any answers, but I think I might have touched on a few of the key questions:

http://infoviz.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VizChallenges

Why Bibliographic Metadata poses Visualization Challenges
    * there are large quantities of textual information
* it is hard to represent all the information in a full bookcase onto a single monitor screen.
          o bookspine info
o organizational info (binned and linear sorts from classifications ...) * single items can be associated with multiple parts of a hierarchy.
    * tree hierarchies can have vastly uneven leaf levels
    * trees can be sparsely populated
o there may be incomplete or missing information to associate metadata records with hierarchies
    * controlled vocabulary problems
o hierarchies associated with bibliographic metadata values more or less implicity refer to controlled vocabularies. o Controlled vocabularies are often too limited or too broad for the task at hand

1. The user is not broken. Our faculty are very vocal in desiring a "virtual shelf list" that will allow them to, given a specific item, look for "closely located" items. Call numbers have facilitated co- location of (some) related physical materials, which facilitates a browsing experience that users enjoy. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's something else ... but they enjoy it and find it useful. They are used to call numbers, and by god, they want call numbers. Who are we to naysay?

This has been implemented already in some systems. My local public library catalog has this, but Stanford does not:
go to:   http://plsiii.plsinfo.org
do a search
select a record
click on the call number link

It's not beautiful, but it's there ... more than I can say about our ILS or about our OSS discovery interface.

2. Call numbers must be unique for circulation purposes. For a virtual shelf list, we do not need to display multiple copies on the shelf. http://infoviz.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CallNumbers Call numbers

3. Giving the user a new paradigm is a good thing, but it may not alleviate the need for the familiar. Plus, the new paradigm has to be sufficiently useful / familiar / easy to learn. Have you seen Aquabrowser? The graph thingy on the left is neat looking ... but is it used? Perhaps it is - I don't know.

I like the concept of a coverflow ... but how much can you see at a glance? Do users want to see more at a glance, or want to see covers? I have no idea - let's get a usability expert out there with some prototypes (thanks for the prototypes everyone!)

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water: information on book spines has had decades to evolve into what is considered useful. In a bookstore. In a home library. Do we "know better"? Let's experiment knowledgeably, get user feedback and iterate!

4. call numbers use classifications that define a (subject) hierarchy that is not a strict tree structure. There has always been a tension between the linear shelving and the hierarchy of classification schemes. http://infoviz.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ClassVizReq Can we resolve this successfully with a virtual browse?

5. items often fit more than one classification (more than one subject). There is no reason why we can't have MULTIPLE linear orderings, based on various subjects / fictitious call numbers. I'd love to get away from linear, but I haven't yet found a replacement that is familiar enough and easy enough to learn. See http://infoviz.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VizChallenges .

6. can we combine subject searching (text searches, even) with these virtual shelves? Imagine a treemap of resources, and as you type your search strings, matching areas of the tree map are highlighted. As it gets down to a single area, the UI zooms in ...

For the record, we have at least THREE distinct call number systems here: LC, Dewey, and SUDOC. It's ugly ... and it's our reality. What should be combined? How should the software facilitate this?

Count me in for working on a solution.

- Naomi