Hi folks,

I'm passing this on for Dianne McCutcheon at the National Library of Medicine. They're looking for technical folks to help dig into testing RDA to determine whether it'll really enable library metadata to be used across systems more effectively, and better support discovery.

I hope there are some folks who'd be interested in participating!

-emily lynema

The Library of Congress, the National Agricultural Library and the National Library of Medicine have jointly decided to test Resource Description and Access (RDA), the proposed new cataloging code, before making a decision on whether or not to implement this new standard. See the joint statement and accompanying letter from Deanna Marcum, Associate Librarian for Library Services, Library of Congress for more details: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/cataloging/RDA_Letter_050108.pdf

We plan to include members of the U.S. library community as well as ILS vendors and OCLC, in the testing. We are also interested in including developers from the code4lib and NGC4Lib communities who could help evaluate the assertion that RDA will allow the data produced to function within a wide range of technological environments and better support resource discovery.

The test period will begin after RDA is released, currently targeted for July 2009. We are in the process of developing the methodology for testing and would welcome input from testing partners. If you are interested in participating, or have a suggestion of someone we should contact, please e-mail one of the national library contacts: Dianne McCutcheon (NLM) mccu...@nlm.nih.gov, Christopher Cole (NAL) christopher.c...@ars.usda.gov or Beacher Wiggins (LC) b...@loc.gov.

Regards,
Dianne McCutcheon
Chief, Technical Services Division
National Library of Medicine