Since this list has librarians, hard core programmers and hybrid librarian
programmers on it, this is probably a good place to ask this sort of question.

I'm looking for some book recommendations. I've read a lot of technical books
on how to work with specific kinds of technology, read a lot of online
technical "how tos" and that has been good as far as it goes. But, technology
changes too fast to be wed to one particular programming language, database
technology, metadata standard, etc. I'm interested in finding books that speak
to the issues of programming methodology, design principles, lessons learned,
etc. that transcend any particular programming technology. Are there good books
that distill the wisdom and experience of veteran developers and /or
communicate best practices for things like design patterns, overall software
architecture, learning from mistakes, the developer mindset and such things?

Could you recommend perhaps the top three or four books you've read in these
areas?

Rob Fox
Hesburgh Libraries
University of Notre Dame