David Fiander wrote:
I'm not sure, but everybody entering the US is required to present a
passport or other "enhanced" ID, so if the Americans don't have
passports, it's more that they can't go home without.
It's good that this is being discussed now. It would be a shame to have someone not be able to attend because they didn't have adequate documents. There *are* immigration sites for both the U.S. and Canada that can provide up to date information regarding required documents. I was suggest using those sites rather than speculate about what might be required based on responses in this thread. That said, I probably should check my passport to see when it expires. In addition to the likely trip to Montpellier, there is a fairly high chance that'll be going to Tanzania on business as well.

I have taken the 1000 Island Bridge (incredibly scenic for those that haven't done it) and have also taken the Wolf Island Ferries. I've probably traveled to/from Canada 6-7 times and got more scrutiny at the Wolf Island crossing than any other spot.

Ride sharing is a good idea. With enough people coming from some areas renting a van might even be a viable option.

--
John Fereira
Cornell University