Adam,

Just over a year ago, we were in a similar position to yours, and wanted both a
discovery layer and a Fedora-based digital asset management system for
Stanford.

We ended up adopting Blacklight for both our next generation catalog [1] and as
the UI providing discovery / viewing component of our repository. To complement
BL's strong searching / browsing / multi-format object viewing capabilities, we
are building a Ruby-on-Rails-based repository front end application to provide
the deposit / editing / object management capabilities.

This architecture and overall approach is a multi-institutional project called
Hydra [2], with Stanford, University of Virginia and University of Hull being
the primary contributors at this point. The app makes use of ActiveFedora [3]
as the bridge between the Fedora and the Rails apps.

By our calculations, this gave us the best of three worlds--Blacklight provides
a single platform both for discovery and part of our repository front end, we
leverage Fedora for its asset management capabilities, and the Hydra /
ActiveFedora components let us do rapid application and flexible application
development for our DAM needs.

The project is still young, but all the project code is open source, and
adopters/contributors/partners are welcome.

- Tom

[1] http://searchworks.stanford.edu
[2] www.fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/hydra
[3] www.yourmediashelf.com/activefedora/