MARC records break parsing far too frequently. Apart from requiring no
truly specialized tools, MARCXML should—should!—eliminate many of
those problems. That's not to mention that MARC character sets vary a
lot (DanMARC anyone?), and more even in practice than in theory.

>From my perspective the problem is simply that MARCXML isn't as
ubiquitous as MARC. For what we do, at least, there's no point. We'd
need to parse non-XML MARC data anyway. So if we're going to do it, we
might as well do it for everything.

Best,
Tim

--