On 6/15/2011 1:46 PM, Kevin S. Clarke wrote:

What is the problem we're trying to solve again?  Do we think that the
recent conferences have cost too much for the attendees?  That this
year's will cost too much?  Are we worried about not finding places to
host in the future?  Are we worried about needing the level of
sponsorship that we currently do?

I guess I'm worried that conferences have become more expensive and more work to put on. This means:

a) It's harder to find people to host, and harder for them to do it in a way that makes the community happy, and that doesn't destroy themselves.

b) They need to find a lot more sponsorship, which is risky, and potentially means giving sponsors privileges that change the nature or feel of the conf.

This thread began with a suggestion from current conf hosts that they need to find more things to give sponsors. Which reminded me of last year's sponsored banquet, which ended up not having a presentation from the vendor, but which was supposed to, which I would not have liked, having a sponsor deliver a presentation to a captive conf audience in return for sponsorship.