I agree with Ed: I like that someone is throwing out crazy ideas. I
don't particularly like this crazy idea though.

If you accept that the downside to multiple tracks is fracturing of
the audience/community, then I don't see how holding a 2nd clone of
the conference on subsequent days gets around that. It might even be
worse because in a  parallel multi-track setups you would at least
have the benefit of bumping into and networking with the entire,
larger group in the off-hours. Of course, inherent in this argument is
the idea that it's not the actual talks that provide the most value in
attending the conference.

Also I agree about the "Speaker Gulag" issue.

--jay

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Edward M. Corrado
<ecorr...@ecorrado.us> wrote:
> I agree it is a crazy idea and I'm not sure if it would work, but I
> like the out of the box thinking.
>
> If the site had one big space that could handle 500 people, you could
> just have one keynote session that both groups attended., I guess.
> That does restricts the options for locations, but not as much as
> needing a room for 500 people the whole time.
>
> Speaker wise, you'd probably only have to be there one extra day. I
> guess that might mean, however, that a speaker (w|c)ould participate
> in half of conference A and half of conference B if that is how they
> approached it.
>
> Edward
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Peter Murray <peter.mur...@lyrasis.org>
> wrote:
>> That is a crazy idea.  I don't know about putting the speakers on the hook
>> for two days -- particularly keynote speakers.  Still, it would be
>> interesting for a site to flesh this out and propose something along these
>> lines.
>>

>> Peter
>>
>> On Dec 21, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Fleming, Declan wrote:
>>> Hi - so I know this is nuts.
>>>
>>> If we start with a couple premises for the code4lib conference:
>>>
>>> 1.  Single thread is crucial.
>>> 2.  250 is about the top limit of a single threaded conference.
>>> 3.  400+ people want to attend.
>>> 4.  The conference takes 2.5 days.
>>>
>>> What if we ran the 2.5 day conference twice in one week?
>>>
>>> 1.  Session 1 runs from Monday until noon on Weds.
>>> 2.  Session 2 runs from 1p on Weds until the end of Friday.