The Wayne State University Library System seeks an energetic, service-oriented
and self-directed individual to serve as Systems Librarian on our talented team
of professionals. If your skills match those we've listed and you have a
passion for innovative resources and services we encourage you to apply.

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Wayne State University runs the Millennium integrated library system from
Innovative Interfaces. Our collection includes over 2.6 million bibliographic
records from the Purdy/Kresge Library, Science Library, Undergraduate Library,
Medical Library, Law Library, and the Pharmacy Library. We run the standard
Millennium modules plus Electronic Resources Management, Millennium Media,
Research Pro (federated searching), Metadata module (for DC and EAD records),
and Webbridge. We import MARC records from Serials Solutions and a number of
publisher sources, and create load profiles to configure record loading
parameters. WSU is a full OCLC member, and participates in resource sharing
through OCLC (Illiad), Docline, and RAPID. In addition to the classic
Millennium WebPac, we use the Encore Discovery platform for public catalog
searching, and we participate in the MelCat INNReach consortium. Our primary
vendors include SWETS and Yankee Book Peddler for serials and monographic
orders.

Reporting to the Associate Director for Discovery Services, the Systems
Librarian will be responsible for coordinating and managing the Millennium
integrated library system (ILS) and collaborating with acquisitions,
cataloging, access services, reference, and other appropriate WSU Library teams
to provide direction and support for configuration, development, and management
of the ILS and associated systems; Assessing and troubleshooting system
problems and serving as the primary technical contact for Innovative Interfaces
and the MelCat InnReach system; Creating or collaborating with other team
members to develop interfaces with external systems as needed, including
Banner, publisher interfaces, OCLC, RAPID, Illiad, Serials Solutions; Assisting
in the investigation and implementation of emerging technologies; Generating
reports and providing collection and system statistics where appropriate, and
assisting unit managers with ILS-derived statistics as needed. The successful c!
 andidate will maintain membership in Innovative Users Group (IUG), and serve
on appropriate library system teams to support collection management
activities.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited
program college or university, and 3-5 years' experience in the administration
and support of integrated library systems, applications and technologies;
candidate must have administrator-level knowledge and experience with an
Integrated Library System; excellent customer service skills, interpersonal
skills, and oral and written communications skills; candidate must demonstrate
ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with team members,
students and faculty, and the ability to adapt well to change; knowledge of
MARC record formats and MARC bibliographic and serials formats; familiarity
with standard Unix protocols including ftp, telnet, ssh, Z39.50; a strong
commitment to responsive service and a desire to master new technologies; and
knowledge of AACR2, RDA, EAD, Dublin core and other related metadata formats
and schemas.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

Millennium systems experience; Experience with Apache web servers in general,
and experience creating and managing Millennium webpac production and staging
environments; Millennium Load Profile Training and Advanced Systems
Administration; Experience with scripting languages such as PERL, PHP or Bash
within a LAMP Environment; Understanding of relational databases and a working
knowledge of SQL; Working knowledge of information exchange standards including
SUSHI, COUNTER, and UNICODE character encoding standards; 3-5 years' experience
working with an Innovative system in an ARL Library; Experience with OCLC
Illiad, and OCLC Resource sharing, WorldCat Local, and the OCLC Local Holdings
Record formats; Ability to create and customize Millennium print templates
(IReports), and manage Millennium notices that incorporate print templates for
formatting; Knowledge of the Millennium Webbridge Link resolver; Knowledge of
the Research Pro; and experience with the Encore discovery plat!
 form.

For information on how to apply please see:
https://jobs.wayne.edu/

-Paul

Paul Gallagher, MLIS
Associate Director