On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 04:34:47PM -0400, Ross Singer wrote:
> On May 23, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Kevin Ford wrote:
>
> > Don't know what to say.  Crawling through the source for "file" at [1], the
> > pattern matching code as in place as of Sept 2011.  It could be present
> > earlier than Sept 2011, but I stopped hunting for it.  The earliest it
> > would have made its way into the magic db would have been April 2011.
> >
> > Perhaps OpenBSD is using some custom branch of "file", haven't updated the
> > db, etc.
>
> As Stuart pointed out, some implementations are slow to update the db.  OSX,
> for example, also just says "data" (hence my question on the output).

adding FreeBSD's magicfile from this commit on a users $HOME

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-vendor/2011-October/000851.html

For my next trick I will try to remember that I need to do that.

./fxk

--
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,
then the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.